Monday, March 11, 2024

A Shiftless Man: A Japanese Folktale from Hiroshima

Long, long ago, in a certain village, there lived a man proverbial for his laziness. Although he was employed at the home of Oodanna, a neighbor, money burned a hole in our hero's pockets, so that he was forever penniless. He was always taking advantage of his employer's generosity, promising to repay money borrowed. Which of course he never did. The New Year was approaching, and our protagonist (let us call him Goro) discovered he was dangerously low on rice. After all I've borrowed from Oodanna, he's not going to give me any rice, unless I have a cunning plan, mused Goro. And holding his head in his hands, Goro commenced to scheme. Aha, that's it, it's bound to work, exclaimed Goro, whereupon he hurried to let his wife (Setsuko will do) in on the plot; when she understood her role, she put on her saddest face and went to Oodanna's house. Most Honorable Oodanna, the most terrible thing has happened. Truth is, my husband died yesterday, and there's not a grain of rice in the house. You wouldn't be able to lend me a sack of rice, would you? beseeched Setsuko. My, but only yesterday he was hale and hearty! Well, when you're time's up. it's up. However, there's no need to worry, and though I've already loaned you no end of things, you can have a sack of rice. But Oodanna was greatly moved by Setsuko's tale of woe, and he added: Well, I suppose you'd better take all three sacks of rice I've got, and here's some money to tide you over as well. Goro was overjoyed at the success of his ruse, and for some time he lived the life of Riley. But before long things began to run low, and then lower still, so Goro betook himself to Oodanna's to ask for work. Standing outside the house, Goro had a sudden thought: I'm supposed to be dead! But what am I to do? I'll starve if I don't get work! As Goro was pacing about irresolutely, who but Oodanna himself should emerge from the house? Goro dived into a clump of tall grass, thinking to hide. But Oodanna had seen him, and heaving a big sigh, said, Of all people, it's the dead guy. Come now, the joke's gone on long enough. Come on out, you! As Goro didn't comply, the other parted the grass and took up a position right next to him. Goro, placing his hands together, replied, No, I didn't lie to you. I'm praying to you from the shade of leaves of grass. By the way, Dear Reader, 'from the shade of leaves of grass' is an expression that may be used when referring to the dead. THE END http://hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/minwa/03/11.htm

No comments: